Thursday, September 24, 2009

Service for One

Not to brag or anything, but I’m a pretty good cook/baker. Not a perfect one—I’ve certainly had my share of flops (like the rolls at Standard’s Conference a week ago)—and not even a great one, but I know my way around a kitchen. So why is it that I cook/bake only two or three times a month? It’s that whole cooking for one thing. It’s just not worth the planning, the effort, the mess.

image

I know some people who cook and then eat the leftovers the rest of the week, but I can’t stomach most leftovers—not even for lunch the next day unless I can eat them cold. I just don’t like that burning-your-tongue-hot-spots-mixed-with-just-out-of-the-fridge-cold conglomeration you get when you warm things up in the microwave. Or that slightly-stale-and-too-crunchy-on-the-edges amalgam that comes out when you warm things in the oven. I don’t like freezer meals (either homemade or store bought) for the same reason.

So, what’s a girl to do? Cold cereal is a staple on my list. It’s a perfect dinner for the time and energy impaired. Pancakes from a mix (you can cut it down so you only make two and they’re ready in under ten minutes) are another great option. Vanilla Yogurt with fruit in it (blueberries and bananas are a favorite) make a tasty treat. Toast with strawberry jam is also an easy fix. So basically, I eat breakfast twice a day.

image image

image

image

image

+

image

And when that craving for something sweet hits, I’ve found these handy little single-serving delights (they come in flavors of chocolate too, I just happened to choose lemon at the store tonight):

DSCN2568

They take less then five minutes to prepare and cook and are surprisingly “warm” and “delight[ful]” as promised on the packaging. And, there is no danger of eating an entire panful of brownies at the end :)

Well, all I really wanted to say is that these are a pretty good option for you people of low number out there. There rest was just a really long introduction.

8 comments:

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I'm always looking for such items. Thanks for the suggestions. I tend to eat breakfast almost exclusively as I'm not really a fan of lunch food and I have the same issues with cooking dinner for 1.

Andrea said...

I've become a big fan of cottage cheese with strawberries!

Although, I must say that I'm okay with eating leftovers. I freeze them individually so I can just pop it in the microwave and have a single serving.

scott said...

You're too funny, I just stir my microwaved leftovers to even out the cold and hot spots!

Sandy Brunson said...

I'm with Scott. Some leftovers can be rather delicious. Cooking for two is much better though. I'm enjoying cooking so much more now. Cooking for one was hard. And I tended to eat out a lot...not so good for my health or budget!

MaryAnn said...

I never enjoyed cooking for one either - although most of the time now I still feel like I am cooking for one. My kids (especially Megan) can be picky eaters. Even when they like it, they don't eat that much. Tim can be the pickiest of all and often just eats a peanut butter and honey sandwich instead of what I have made for dinner. That leaves a lot of leftovers. I like eating leftovers, though, so I usually have a good supply for lunch.

Lynda/Mom said...

I'm OK with leftovers if I can remember to eat them before they mold. I bought a box of the Costco brand of Slimfast, or whatever the current version is, and I keep them on hand for quick meals when I'm just not into fixing something. I think I may have lost a couple of pounds even since I started

Jenny R said...

cooking for just Nina and I is hard sometimes too - it is cooking for one and a half. One thing I found that is simple and low mess is to take a chicken breast, smother it with whatever flavor of salad dressing I feel like that night and bake it for half an hour. Lets me put away the things from the day, switch laundry, etc while the chicken is baking. I also make some minute rice and heat up some green beans in the oven and presto - a meal that still feels nutritious and easy and fast.

CtrlAltJack said...

I recently posted a recipe for german pancakes that can easily be cut in half for a single serving and it's easy and really good.

When I have a day off and I'm feeling adventuresome I really enjoy kitchen experiments.

Check out the books I read on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1339262