Sunday, December 14, 2008

Congratulations are in order?

























































I'm never quite sure how to respond when people congratulate me on receiving a new calling.    I always say "thank you" and wonder what type of pithy, clever comment would be appropriate.  Is it really an accomplishment?  It's not like a promotion at work.  So, I've decided what they really mean to say is that they're supportive of me and are willing to fold all my laundry and rake my leaves so that I'll have time to do what I need to do.  Just kidding.

I was released over the pulpit as Primary President today and sustained as the Young Women's President.  Isn't there some adage about frying pans and fire that would be appropriate here?  It's been 17 years since I've been in Young Women's.  I'm currently feeling a bit overwhelmed and daunted by the task of getting everything figured out.  However, I do know most of the girls from camp already, so that is a bonus.  I will be doing some serious reading and planning this Christmas break to get up to speed.

On another note, I took the final for my first graduate class this past Friday.  I am glad it is over and hope I will enjoy the other classes more.  The program I am in is a series of 12 classes that are five weeks each during an 18-month period.  So, by May of 2010 I should be finished with a Master's Degree in Educational  Administration.

In the meantime, I'm way behind on getting my Christmas decorations up.  I finally finished my outside lights yesterday at one in the morning.  I wish I were a better photographer so that I could figure out how to work the settings on my camera to show how the lights really look.  They look better in person.  

The tree got put up this afternoon. Now I just have to get the lights and ornaments on it.  Maybe someday I'll get to the posts on the Thanksgiving pies and the reviews of Christmas music I wanted to do.  'Til then, I hope you find as much joy in this season as I do.

7 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Oh, Janet! Sometimes it is a pain to be so talented and dependable. I am happy for the young women who will benefit from your wisdom and abilities. Your lighting is impressive. Thanks for sharing the photos.

joanna said...

My favorite calling is in the Yound Women! I know you'll be fabulous! Your lights are beautiful! We can't seem to find the time to get ours up.

Barbara said...

Wow!! From one presidency to the other is incredible!! Blessings on you, and I agree with Lynda. You'll be great. Your lights are beautiful as well. Lilit is coming today and hopefully she will do my little bit of outside decoration.

MaryAnn said...

Congratulations. I am sure you will do great as the Young Women's president. Your decorations look fabulous!

Robinson Family said...

Wow, you're busy. I can relate to the YW thing if you want some advice (not that I'm an expert), but I've had a year to work on it. It's a fun calling and will keep you very busy. It makes you feel young though. I love the picture of Abby with candy. She is so lucky to have you close by. Can you move to Indy and be my kids favorite person?

Joanne said...

Whoa, Janet! YW Pres, graduate classes, working full time, being an aunt, daughter and wearing many other hats - how do you find time to decorate your home and make truffles? Hah, hah! must be your great organizational skills that everyone depends on! You'll will manage with great ability and we will all be praying for you!

Jenny R said...

Nice job decorating - wish I could get to the outside. Have fun with the young women. I think this might be the most challenging for you yet but you will be great! :)

Check out the books I read on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1339262