A lady who was driving on the access road at rush hour came across the grassy median onto the freeway facing perpendicular to the traffic. I was in the right-most lane and saw her coming and slammed on the breaks but couldn’t stop in time as I had been going 60mph, so I struck her car (my front end hit her right driver’s side), which spun her car around and she then hit my passenger side in the middle, knocking me into the middle lane of traffic so that she was then knocked back off the freeway into the grassy median. I was able to keep control of my car and weave through the traffic to the shoulder, so our two cars were the only ones involved. My airbag was not functioning properly, so it did not go off (which was probably a good thing as I would not have been able to react so quickly and keep control of the car). I did have severe bruising from the seatbelt and was VERY stiff and sore for weeks and had to go to physical therapy. However, I realize that I was definitely blessed and watched over as that could have been a very serious accident and could easily have been fatal.
I had been planning on buying a minivan during the summer anyway, so the accident moved it all up by a few months and I used the insurance money as the down payment on a 2009 Kia Sedona. However, had I known about the looming medical bills waiting for me in the future I may have made a different choice not involving as substantial a car payment. C’est la vie.

2 comments:
Wow, that sounds like a terrifying experience. I hope you're recovering from your expenses and still able to work to pay the bills. Good to hear from you and congratulations on your purchase. I, too, have considered purchasing a minivan (though it is out of the question right now). I hate having to ask people to haul things for me, etc. Anyway, hope all is going well.
Oh, I am so envious of your minivan. I have wanted one ever since I listened to my kids and didn't get another one when I got rid of mine. I have been kind of looking for an old one for several months now, but it seems a little excessive to have two cars for one person. I'm glad you survived the accident--it sounds terrible! And I'm so sorry about your medical issues and resulting financial difficulties. It's good to hear from you again. Aunt Lynda
Post a Comment